Twitter
Elfin Windmill

Originally built about 1730, by the local landowner, the Bishop of Elphin, Edward Synge, the Elphin Windmill was in ruin by the 1830s. It was restored to full working power and opened as a visitor attraction in 1996 and is the only fully restored windmill in the west of Ireland. It is probably the oldest windmill in Ireland.

Thresher
Thresher
Before automated mills all grinding was by hand using a rotary quern stone
Before automated mills all grinding was by hand using a rotary quern stone
French burr whee
French burr wheel
Hopper for feeding grain into the grinding wheels
Hopper for feeding grain into the grinding stones
Quartz conglomerate wheel
Quartz conglomerate wheel

It is a round three stage structure with a thatched revolving roof of organic rye. The sails are positioned into the wind by means of a pole attached to a cartwheel which revolves on a circular grooved track on the ground.

The mill was originally used for grinding corn and other grains and now houses a visitor centre where the workings of the windmill are interpreted and demonstrated.

Also on site is an agricultural museum housing a threshing machine, mangles, a winnower and other machinery associated with the harvesting of grain.

Restoration work and development as a tourist attraction was carried out by Elphin Area Community Enterprise Ltd, in conjunction with FAS. Elphin Windmill is recorded on the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage.

The windmill is open all year round, weekdays 2pm-6pm, Saturday and Sunday 10am-6pm. Guided tours are available during open hours.

Tour charge: €5 adult ticket, €3 child ticket, €12 family ticket.

Location: Elphin Windmill is located on Windmill Road, Elphin, Co Roscommon.


Please enter a valid email



8 + 2 =

 

© Copyright 2014 Elphin Windmill